Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 1… and maybe 2 and 3

Well, I made it! I am finally here in Jos and am getting ready for some much needed sleep. The flights went well – I was even given a rose when leaving the plane in Frankfurt, Germany. The food was alright. On the trip from the US, we had this amazing meal – everything was beautiful and fresh and delicious! On the way to Nigeria however… let’s just say, I’m still not certain what I ate. I know it was supposed to be chicken.

We ran into some trouble with the visa official… he was hassling us about where we were staying and who we were staying with. He kept wondering who this “Jason” character was – even said he wanted to meet him (that was a fun experience, I’m sure for the friend of Jason who actually picked us up from the airport). Of course, after stamping our visas, he told us that next time, we should come back and visit him.

We spent our first night in the country at a guest house. They gave us the speech about how we are NOT to drink the water or even brush our teeth with it … of course 15 minutes later, there I am throwing out my toothbrush because I had already failed that one vital task. No worries though for all of you out there who are worried about my dental hygiene… I brought 7 more :) Let’s see how long it takes me to go through them hahaha Any bets?

The next morning (Monday), we traveled to Jos. It was about a 4 hours drive passing through 6 checkpoints. Obviously, we made it through them just fine as well. We were greeted with a lot of new and friendly faces as well as a homemade lunch of chicken salad and watermelon.

The goal of these new people (and our staff members for the summer) was to keep us awake and active for as long as possible today (they said it was to help us adjust to the time change, but I think they were just being mean :)* ). Anyway, the day was filled with hiking, devotionals, pictures, dinner, and games.

I think it’s going to be a great summer. I am looking forward to our crash language course in Housa this week. Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to post some key words and phrases for everyone back home.

Ok, well I am off to bed :) Miss you all already!

No comments:

Post a Comment