Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Amazing" Would Be The Word Used To Describe Today

Today was a pretty simple day. We (the interns) started off by getting up at 5:55am to go running with Corrie. When we got back, we made French toast (YUMMY!) and had some more training.

After lunch we went to this place called OLA (Our Lady of Apostle). It is a hospital and orphanage. We got to interact with some of the kids there. They were shy at first, but got really excited when we brought out our cameras. They kept yelling, "Snap me! Snap me!" They really enjoyed being able to see themselves on the screen - it was so cute. One of the little boys actually grabbed my camera and went around taking pictures of everyone while I played with a little girl named Agnes - she LOVED being flipped upside-down and spun around. The boy is bound to be a photographer one day though. He took his time in setting up his shots even to the point of closing curtains to adjust the lighting! He was awesome.

Another really neat thing is that we are currently traveling with 6 kids, and I think that brings out a whole other dimension to our interactions. The kids here in Nigeria seem just as curious and excited about meeting them as the kids with us are. It's really fun to watch!

After that, we went to this sweet store called Gidan Bege, which means "House of Hope" in Hausa. It's a ministry that teaches widows and orphaned, abandoned, and abused street children how to sew and use their skills to make amazing products like skirts, reversible bags, wallets, aprons, journals, etc. They truly are beautiful! I bought a gorgeous patchwork wrap skirt that I am super excited to wear!! I can't wait to go back!!

I'm so surprised by how many goats we see roaming the streets! Maybe goats are Nigeria's squirrels...???

Ok, I'm off to play cards and hang out with people. Hope you are all doing well. Miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment