Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hut-to-Hut Provisions and Prayer

6-12-09


This morning was spent preparing measures of beans, corn, and cooking oil to distribute to people in the village. Afterwards, we packed in the car and drove to the future B2B property site. We were able to take the group up to the top of the mountain and show them an overview of what is to come and the vision of B2B. It is such an amazing and beautiful place! I wish pictures could do it justice. We had to climb down quickly, however, as a storm was rolling in.


When we finally got to the village, we split up into 3 teams and went door-to-door, or hut-to-hut, whatever the case may be. We gave each family 2 measures of beans and corn as well as a water bottle full of oil. Afterwards, we would ask if they had any prayer requests and then offer to pray with them. I was impacted by how many people were asking for prayer over sickness. Honestly, looking at their conditions, it’s a believable circumstance, but sad and unfortunate, nonetheless.


What struck me more than that, however, was the prayer requests for better spiritual walks. So many people wanted to “get right with God” or turn back to Him. They felt that void in their life and wanted prayer in seeking Him. It astounds me how there may be an ocean, a language barrier, and income levels all separating me from these people, but we seek the same thing. It truly amazes me that no matter the location, income level, or background we shared a heart’s pursuit. It just makes the world that much smaller. They are no longer people a world away with different issues. I’ve met them, heard their stories, and have found common ground. I don’t know if I’m explaining this feeling well or not, but it made a rather large impact on me.


One lady, in particular, really struck me with her story. Her name was Teresa, but her story reminded me of Ruth. She lost both her husband and her son, and just felt distant from God, like he didn’t care about her very much. I wanted to pray with her, but circumstances didn’t seem to allow it. Of course, maybe that was me being a chicken or not acting quick enough or spiritual warfare taking place. I just don’t know. Whatever it was, I wasn’t able to pray, and that left a significant conviction on my spirit. I wanted to tell her, with every ounce of my being, that she is loved and cared for, and that her story is that of legend. That God has such a huge plan for her and her life, she just can’t see it yet. I’m ashamed I never said it.


When we went to another section of the village, we were met by more children who just wanted to be with us. I stood back and had a moment where all the pictures I’ve ever seen of African children really struck me. These kids did have the puffed out bellies from malnutrition and inadequate amounts of food. They did have deformities and cuts and scrapes that weren’t taken care of. They all had snot running down their noses and were dirty. Some didn’t even have enough clothes. It was one of those moments that you stand back and take it all in. Then in a moment, all you want to do is tell the world. These things are all solvable. If more people saw, and if more people took an interest, maybe things would be different and these kids’ lives would be changed. Pictures don’t even begin to convey the feelings you experience when witnessing this first hand.


I’m also impacted by the amount of spiritual warfare going on here. It’s just so present in everyday life. I don’t know how to describe it much beyond that – just that it’s here and it’s rough and I feel like I take part in a battle every single day. It reminds me how imperative it is for me to gain strength from my Jesus daily and to lean on Him through it all. That’s so much easier said than done though, and I hope to integrate it more pervasively throughout my everyday “routine.”


On a lighter note, it never ceases to amaze me how transfixed the kids here are with white skin. They LOVE to pinch it to see it change colors. It’s so funny to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment