Friday, June 5, 2009

Finding Shelter on the Mountain

Today was another rather adventurous day! The staff took us to Sherry Hills (I’m not positive on the spelling) to climb another mountain. I thought maybe it would be as easy of a climb as the mountain we climbed earlier, but I was definitely wrong. I’m so glad I wore my hiking boots! Haha


At one point, we had to jump from one rock to another over top of a small river with maybe a 5 foot drop underneath. The jump wasn’t too bad, but it was a great team building exercise as people were helping us across.


We saw a dead snake at one point – I was SO glad it was dead. Ew! And walked past some construction workers who apparently yelled at us “I want to marry a white woman!” in either Rakuba or Hausa (not sure which it was – we were told about this later).


But the craziest part about the hike, hands down, was when we have to go through this really narrow passageway, wedged between rocks in order to continue on our hike. I was carrying a backpack, and at one point ended up getting stuck because combined, myself and the backpack were too big. I’m really proud though of how everyone helped everyone else out – with trying to get footing to boosting someone up onto a rock to pulling each other up on the climb. It was impressive and I think we all felt really accomplished when we finally made it to the top.


Once up their, we continued our discussion on our community values and God’s shelter. How would we define shelter? God’s shelter? Would our view of His shelter change if our biggest fear came true? What does His shelter look like? How can we shelter our fellow group members? Where in our life do we need to see a “good work” and avoid legalism to set in?


Psalm 91 (shelter) is the theme for our summer. Pray that God opens my eyes and the eyes of our team to what He has to teach us about His shelter. We want to seek not only it’s meaning, but be able to live out it’s application in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment